Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 4: I LOVE KYOTO

I lovelovelove Kyoto.

Happiness came to me today in the form of a Hayao Miyazaki Store (many of you know some of the extent of my love for these movies and their characters) and an oversized cinnamon-green tea crean puff---i seriously thought: this could be heaven.

I thought i might hyperventilate with joy i found this store today. the sheer providence of finding this store almost first things this morning, was almost too much. first i saw a little totoro in the window next to a pile of little ponyos (from his most recent movie), when i got closer i discovered two 4 foot tall and 3fee t wide totoro stuffed animals in the opposite window!!! my excitement peaked! could it be? could it be? oh my goodness! a store! i was as giddy as a small child anticipating disney world for the first time. this was probably the best part. after my first half hour of shopping for myself i just got stressed trying to choose gifts. i shall not dare tell you all how much i charged at this store but i was both embarassed and utterly satisfied. these things do not exist in the US and i honestly have never covetted material items more. as they were packing up my trinkets i was already coveting many many other things.

 i spent my whole day in one area of kyoto, walking and walking and walking some more. i had the best time. over and over again i bubbled over with  happiness and satisfation with my day. the stone streets on the side of the mountains were breathtaking. i even really enjoyed the temples i went to today (thank you very much Lonely Planet), one offered breathtaking views of the city, another in its massive glory, gave me the oppurtunity to sit and listen as the Buddhist monks chant. this is one of the incredible things about these temples, many if not all are still active temples with parishioners who attend and monks who live there. i have often thought i heard  chanting in the background when walking through or near a temple. Kyoto is truly incredible. at once brimming with life and modernity and filled with ancient history and treasures and beauty. i love this city. i want to live here. i want to visit my neighbor totoro whenever i like and eat green tea creampuffs every day.

i have seriously enjoyed my guesthouse. on one hand i probably would have met more  travellers my age in a more typical hostel, i am very happy to have found japanese style guesthouses with tatami floor-futon bed dorm rooms that are just as inexpensive. i have been gracious too that the main attendant here speaks perfect australian english and is keen to talk in the evenings.

i am also getting much better at eating. it is funny that with all the thigns that are simply outrageously expensive (a teeny tiny bunch of flowers costs $30, i saw strawberries today maybe 8 for $14), you can get a full meal or at least full for $2-$5. i have found my favorite convientient store foods (one of the best places to get yummy cheap food) and i love the vending machine restraunts where you buy tickets and get food almost instantly, complete with free tea and water. i can wat rice and seaweed and udon soup & cabbage salad for awhile and be happy. today i ate a mid afternoon lunch sitting on a little stone bridge over a small river that runs thru kyoto. lovely.

tomorrow i am leaving my bags at the guesthouse where i will staying the weekend (walking distance from here) and heading to a few sights in southern Kyoto and then onto Nara for the night with just the neccesities.

i really could not be happier and i need to give a shout out to my dad for helping me to make this trip possible. thank you thank you thank you--you`re thank you present will be that i will not let you rest until i know you will make this trip yourself.

bye for now,
megan

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you! You sound like you are having a well deserved wonderful time! Yea! Go Meg!
    We love you, Jo Ann & Margot

    ReplyDelete