Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 1 Tokyo

Things that have made me smile so much I almost laughed out loud:
  • Seeing the enourmous plane i took from Houston to Tokyo
  • My Ritz sandwhich cracker packaging in Japanese (from the taste and photo on the box i can only guess that they are filled with mozarella and basil, yumm)
  • Walking down the street this morning and saying to myself ¨You´re in Tokyo! You´re in Japan!¨
Now that I am here I would not trade this for many things. I woke up this morning a little worried about getting lonely. I do not like to know I will be alone all day BUT I got up, got ready, connected with family and friends on the internet for a moment and took to the streets. If you are looking for me in Tokyo I am the frumpy American traveller with a goofy grin breaking over her face.

K´s House where I stayed last night happens to be walking distane to maybe the most famouse temple in Tokyo--Senso'ji. I am awed by how quiet it is the on the streets as I walk there. Bikes line the sidewalk and really there is now traffic. Businessmen hop on bikes, carrying their briefcases in a front basket. Japan has definitely figured a few things out.

I finally find all the tourists when i near Senso'ji however post of them I pressume are Japanses. I like the way young people dress here---Ash do you remember wanting to wear shorts with tights underneath once? I am pretty sure I told you not too. Well thats quite the fashion here.

I watch Japanese tourists wave smoking insense on their bodies as they walk toward the temple. I get a fortune outside the gates---it is for bad luck but I am suppose to accept that and I like it all the same. Although I think it said something about this not being a time for trips, oh well! too late :)

I rest for a moment by a father and son. The little boy and I move out heads side to side in rythm and laugh! Japanese children are the cutest I have ever seen and it makes me wonder if many or any are in need of adoption...hmmmm...

I rest later near the National Gardens near the Imperial Palace in central Tokyo, waiting for a second wind. My whole body still aches from the long flight and all the walking I´ve done today. It was so lovely to sleep in a bed last night and i really do feel rested and adjusted today. I am really itching to talk to someone, ANYONE at this point, spending the whole day mute is going to drive me craaaaaazzzzzyyyyy!!! Tomorrow I think i will be ready to make friends.

Oh here´s a funny thing I keep doing. I keep mumbling si, si (in spanish) and other little phrases. my default when the language i know best (english) is not being spoken around me is to try spanish i guess----oops! so far i think my silence is made less rude by my unabashed smiling everytime i purchase something or interact with anyone. Japanese makes me smile. I also like giving and recieving the polite little bows.

I am a little jealous of the couples and groups of friends and families. It doesn´t make me feel sad or lonely BUT just wish i was sharing this experience with someone close to me as well. But i am happy to have this nice long experiment in solo travel.

Today I have eaten:
  • MilkyMilk: Peach yogurt with what i can only guess were little blocks of lychee gel
  • Ice coffee and green tea chocolate chip cookies
  • tempura off the street!!! which made me very happy until i ate it. cold. very cold. next time i need to take this back and heat it.
  • a fish shaped waffle with cream and apples in it. this place was very crowded so i figured i´d try it. very good about half way thru, then i´d had enough.
  • coldish bukwheat noodles that i can´t say i disliked but didn´t really care to finish either.
  • green tea frozen yogurt!!!! YUM YUM YUM!!!
  • AND my BIGGEST accomplishment of the day a full meal (rice with meat, veggies, and sauce, salad, and tea) hand prepared in a little cafe with no english menu by the sweetest lady who kept bringing me little treats like  her homemade yogurt with blueberry puree on top. YUM! my first complete meal and veggies in japan. whew!
I think it is so funny that I am reading EAT PRAY LOVE and I am right in the middle of the EAT section. In Italy she is writing all about eating as pleasure and food as indulgence. In Japan (so far) eating is an adventure and i am seeking food as sustenance more than really wanting to indulge in it...

okay well i am heading off for my overnight bus to KYOTO. more later.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are in good spirits and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green tea chocolate chip cookies?!? Green tea frozen yogurt?!? Oh man, I'm so jealous! Sounds like you're having a great time over there - miss you already and keep up the interesting posts! Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of Eat Pray Love here already honey!

    ReplyDelete