Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 3: Kyoto

Today I decided to get out of the city and closer to the beautiful pine covered mountains that surround Kyoto City. I wanted to be in the mountains, breathe the air, hike. So i headed to Ohara, a rural area in the northernmost part of the city. I really think i would have been plenty happy just to take the bus there and back. It was a lovely ride there. I am sure the cherry blossom season is incredible but really fall seems to be the second best time to be in japan. the maples are turning red and the crisp air is very refreshing. i enjoyed ohara but i also got the itch to return to the city pretty much as soon as i reached the temple area of the city. i had a long deabte about which temple to visit but then skipped the temples althogether and instead tried to wander as much as possible. i found a small shrine/temple away from the crowds just for me. i loved it because it was filled with around 50 small little statues of figures with little red fabric tied around each ones neck. they looked identical, but a closer looked revealed slightly different expressions.

my itch to get back to the city was satisfied when i arrived in Gion, the area where my guesthouse is located. this is the primary geisha district of Kyoto, where many people come at night hoping to catch one. Geisha are pretty much an endangered species now in Japan, with only 1000 remainingm about 100 if which reside in Kyoto. I lovelovelove this area even tho it is teaming with tourists. as much as i wanted to get closer to the beautiful mountains, here in the bustling city i recovered the energy and excitement i had my first morning in tokyo. it is no surprise that my favorite thing to do here so far is walk by shops, buy little trinkets and try different packaged snacks.  in buenos aires my very favorite weekend passtime was to visit a plaza and buy recuerdos, it seems to be the same here.

i love love love my guesthouse. i am so happy to be here two nights. this area is supposed to have some of the best sites of kyoto. i have so many places circled within walking distance that i cannot wait to get up tomorrow morning. okay thats all for now.

1 comment: