Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 57: The Real Hiroshima/Day 58: TOK-YOOO!

Monday was a National Holiday in Japan, where all 20 year olds are dressed up (girls in kimono) and taken by their family to be registered at a temple and more or less given the right of passage into adulthood. I set out with Drew to explore the city and hopefully run into this celebration for the national holiday, where he could hopefully take part as a 20 year old himself! We did not find them at the temples as expected but saw later on the news that they had all gathered at City Hall! We did however see many girls running around the city dressed in Kimono and at least I, enjoyed a lovely day seeing a different side of the city.

Especially now being in Tokyo I am the teeniest bit homesick for my cosy little guest house at the World Friendship Center. It was such a pleasure (and luxury!) to stay so many days in the same place! I am not used to moving around as much as last time! But really leaving Hiroshima, I really developed a soft spot in my heart for the city during my stay and I think it really began to grow in me yesterday. We hiked behind the station up towards the Peace Bell (or dome maybe... not to be confused with the A Bomb domb). The mountainous hills that surround the city are so beautiful and the views up among them of the city were quite simply breathtaking. It was so incredible to look out and be able to see the tidal rivers, which make Hiroshima so distinct lead right to the ocean! We could also see the multitude of small islands, rising black and distinct from the Seto Inland Sea, we both remarked on what a distinct landscape it is to us from the US.

I asked Drew about a million questions and learned so much throughout the day about Buddhism and Shintoism, the government and society, the unbelievable complexity of the Japanese language (did you know that there are forms of Japanese that Japanese people won't even understand because it is only used when talking to the very elite, for example?? isn`t that crazy!!!), and even the hush hush (but very powerful and ever present) Japanese mafia. I learned that Hiroshima is actually the most corrupt city in Japan! So on one hand you have the mayor who recently won the Asian equivalent (more or less) of the Nobel Peace Prize and who continues the work of creating a city of Peace but is entirely underneath the City Council (i think that is right) which is controlled by the mafia. VERY interesting. the police force is so small because the mafia does their own policing! is this scary or responsible??? while you are not suposed to use the japanese word for them aloud...and i am not sure i should even write here (its like saying Voldemort in Harry's world) they are quite present and can be seen at bathhouses or on hot days showing their full body tattoos and cut off pinky finger! Everything I learned was very interesting and it made the whole day very enlightening and satisfying!

I also enjoyed my first Hiroshima Okonomiyaki (a food involving massive layers of cabbage, noodles, egg, and maybe a few other mysterious ingredients), served steaming hott and dribbled in what tasted to me not too far off from sweet texas BBQ sauce! It was great and I really enjoyed the restraunt and the whole experience since I have rarely treated myself! So thanks Drew! I have been so reluctant to spend a day with anyone besides myself and well, I really enjoyed the company since i have been missing my friends so much! this day definitely took the edge off missing everyone and now i really don`t want to leave Japan! it was quite fun to appreciate Japan with someone else! oh man i do not want to leave!

I took the bus last night leaving at 8pm (I almost missed it because I could not find the leaving place but a bilingual man on business there helped me get directions and walked me the whole way there just to help out! in the last 24 hours 3 people have offered and given me help like this!), The bus got in this morning at 7am and the 11 hours actually went by quite fast even though i was tired and sore all day today! I just kept pumping myself with caffeine so I would make it through! I really saw a lot of neat areas of Tokyo today and I am sad I was so tired during most of it! It was still a great day and while I missed my yummy guest house breakfasts this morning, I felt great appreciation for the Japanese convience store where I freshened up, brushed my teeth, almost got caught taking a picture of myself brushing my teeth, bough breakfast, and was even able to sit and eat it too! I had the yummiest chocolate chip bread today. I had`t been eating these patries since I don't equate pastries with Japan but it was yummy yummy! I have also finally found some vanilla yogurt I love too!

Okay well my fingers are officially frozen and I need to get some real sleep since I have a big day tomorrow and 2 big dates!!! One with the Studio Ghibli museum (!!!!!) and the second with some cute kitties at the Nekerobi Cat Cafe!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Meggie,the museum looks incredible, a dream place, I know you will be happy there,your highlight, Say hi to Totoro. See you thur. Love mom

    ReplyDelete